As a service-centric company, we at LAMMICO believe the biggest contributor to our success is employee engagement. Outstanding employees are our greatest asset, yet management’s effective hiring and demonstrated commitment to staff propels our high levels of engagement, marrying talent with inspiration. Below, we identify three key elements at the heart of our distinctiveness as an organization, offering examples of how you can model our success in your practice or facility.
1. Know and value your staff.
- Start with the right staff. Willingness to serve is the most important hiring criteria at LAMMICO, so the most qualified candidate will not only be effective at their job, but fit in with our existing culture of service. By hiring people who match our corporate value system, employees naturally become champions of our organization and subsequently recruit equally qualified persons to join our team. Over 30% of our new hires come from employee referrals. LAMMICO rewards these good references with a referral bonus.
- Be caring in the face of personal crisis. Many organizations focus only on their business needs, and employees are expected to leave their personal life at the door. Extraordinary organizations know that the entirety of an employee's experience impacts the work that they do for the organization. This is why LAMMICO is sensitive to the personal circumstances of our staff. For example, if an employee suffers an adverse personal issue, LAMMICO management works with the individual to facilitate their continued contribution to the organization while permitting them the flexibility they may need. It's about the relationship and mutually honoring each other, which requires trust. Ultimately, corporate care for employees can serve to strengthen both the organization and the employee.
2. Inspire a purpose.
- Who aspires to be another cog in a bigger machine? The best employees want to feel the positive impact of their contributions and fulfill a higher sense of purpose. At LAMMICO, we empower employees to perform at a higher level. Through programs like tuition reimbursement, training opportunities, or just simply listening to staff ideas and then acting on those innovative initiatives and rewarding employees for the contribution, LAMMICO honors each voice within the organization and strengthens the individual employee. Inspire staff to develop their passions, and your organization will see a deep commitment to success.
- Don't think you have a higher purpose? There's one in your organization if you mine for it. As a mutual insurance company, LAMMICO intrinsically rallies around our policyholders because they own the Company. We feel that we are not just providing insurance coverage, but are also positively impacting our insureds’ patients by allowing healthcare practitioners to focus on them and not on potential liability concerns. Our experience is that our staff - regardless of their position - naturally support our business initiatives because they believe in our Company and our purpose.
3. Celebrate victories.
- Let them eat cake! As Julia Child says, “a party without a cake is just a meeting.” We make a point of celebrating our Company’s triumphs (often with cake!). The camaraderie of sharing a treat is a simple way to sustain employee morale and high levels of engagement.
- Reward for performance. At LAMMICO, employees partake in the financial success of the Company through bonus programs. Connecting organizational success to individual employees inspires performance, focus on key organizational goals, commitment, and a sense of ownership. We also have programs for public recognition of employees in their efforts toward key initiatives, innovation and alignment with Company values. Recognition before your peers can often be a reward valued more than money.
Thus, through setting elevated expectations and goals and rewarding and recognizing often, whether with dollars, calories or praise, striving to high levels of employee engagement can also be your key to finding sustained organizational success.